Friday, January 13, 2012

Blogging is more than just "web logging"

My first real experience with blogs was when I went to South America for four months and everyone old me that I should get a blog to share all the wonderful things I was doing.  So I got one, and posted approx 4 times the whole 4 months I was down there.  Needless to say it was not very successful.  I attribute that to two reasons: I had very little free time in which to do anything fun like blogging and secondly, I didn't quite understand all the things I could do with a blog.

After doing some searching for what features I could have incorporated in blog as well as exploring already existing ones, I was able to find out some new and important information on what features can been used in blogs.  Many teachers are starting to use blogs as a way to communicate with their students; some interesting features that are beneficial in this circumstances are search bars or adding an "about author" sections so students have an opportunity to get to know the teachers.

However, probably the most important feature that  blogs contain is the fact that they have a spot were comments can be left.  This is an excellent way to get students to respond, especially when it seems like face time with the students is becoming less and less.   Students are also more apt to share information in a venue that the feel comfortable.  Where area is more comfortable for the internet age to share in than the internet.  Also, the discussion on a blog can continue for a much longer time than a discussion in class, this provides extended learning opportunities for the students.

1 comment:

  1. There are so many little things or features about blogs that when used in particular ways can make blogs interesting and useful. You hit upon some very good ones. Commenting of course standing either on the top or near the top of features that make blogs what they are.

    The links to other blogs, particularly blogs of related topics, and to websites are another useful feature. It's one that I'd like the class to investigate and try this week. Note how they appear on my blog ( http://digitalinklings.blogspot.com ) on the left. If you've not tried this yet, click on Design (this should be on the top right side after you've logged in, at least it is on my template) and add some gadgets, such as Blog List. I see there are several new gadgets.

    ReplyDelete